To provide quality library and information services to all citizens and to develop programmes that will help them to become independent users and lifelong learners.
- provide a wide range of information services
- satisfy the needs of different groups through outreach services
- provide library services through branch libraries
- disseminate information
- provide lending services
- develop vacation programmes for children
- provide support to literary artistes
- promote library service and library profession
- provide library services to rural communities
To provide library and information services to the general public through the Central Library and sixteen (16) Branch Libraries and the introduction of Book Mobile Service to rural communities.
- Disseminate information
- Provide lending and reference services
- Acquire library resources – books, periodicals, AV materials
- Develop programmes to encourage reading
- Foster greater use of library resources and facilities
- Introduce programmes to develop the literary skills of young adults
- Develop Branch Libraries as a major source of information.
- Equip libraries with computers that will facilitate electronic access to information.
- Provide Internet services at public branch libraries.
- Promote staff development activities.